The world is becoming flooded with envy and betrayals.
And many have failed to have access to the secrets and wisdom that will enable them to win the battles of this life.
There are secrets the master will never reveal to the follower,
There are masteries that the architect will never reveal to the apprentice,
There is a wisdom that the leader will never reveal to the disciple,
There are codes that bosses have never released to their subordinates,
All because many have not followed enough to ask for the hard thing.
Through the journey of this life, until you follow, you will get to no destination.
There is a place you are going that someone has already been there who needs to guide you.
And there is something you must know, when things get tough, only the tough get going.
2 Kings 2:9-10
“And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me. And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.”
What lessons can we learn from the attitude of Elisha?
1. The things we need to fulfill our destiny are the things we get when we follow to the latter.
There is always a leader at every point of our life.
No one is an island.
Everyone needs a helper at any point in time.
There are many instances where God used men to help and deliver his people.
Just like we Christians who know whom we follow- some others follow idols, river gods, and others follow what they also call God.
Even atheists who say there is no God, have something inside them that cries for the love and salvation of God.
As we obey and follow God, we must also obey and follow those whom he has chosen to lead us in every endeavor of our life.
2. Things that can make you great, are the things you get when you live a life of obedience and persistence.
A good servant is obedient to the master.
It is worth knowing that loyalty makes a good disciple.
Therefore, obedience qualifies you to enjoy kingdom prosperity here on earth.
3. The disciple that follows diligently, wins the heart of the master and the disciple that wins the master’s heart receives the hard thing.
That is double of the master’s anointing.
Following with diligence is not the eye service kind of following.
It is a constant will and earnest effort to pursue what the leader pursues.
4. The servant cannot be greater than the master, but for a servant be perfect like the master, he/she needs the double anointing.
Our Lord Jesus Christ told us in Luke 6:40.
“The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.”
The disciple cannot be greater than the master but they must thrive to attain perfection.
5. Your focus and hunger show your readiness to receive.
That one thing you need to fulfill your destiny is hidden in endurance.
So, when you cannot endure and focus, you have already failed yourself.
Many destinies have failed because they could not focus and follow to pick up the mantle.
The Bible says when Elijah was taken up, his mantle fell and Elisha took it.
Until he saw his master leave, he could not take up his mantle.
This thing Gehazi could not do. He was driven by greed and covetousness and failed to pick up the mantle from Elisha.
Many of us are so much in a hurry.
At the home we are in the hurry.
At Church we are in the hurry.
At the market we are in the hurry.
At work we are in the hurry.
In life we are in the hurry… to get married, to have children, to make wealth and forget the one who can give us the hard thing.
We are even impatient with ourselves and have failed to accept who we are.
But until you know who you are, you will continue to wander in the wilderness of life.
Therefore, if we fail to know who we are, lives will be wasted and destinies will continue to fail.
When you know who you are, you can focus and ask for the hard thing.
The focus and the hunger to pursue who will promote your destiny, receive it now in the name of Jesus.
What is the hard thing?
1. Double of the anointing you see the master use.
2. That one thing, without which fulfilment of your destiny is meaningless.
3. The anointing for extra-ordinary exploits.
The divine turnaround breakthrough.
4. The deep secret from the heart of the master.
5. The anointing that makes you perfect like the master.
6. The anointing that sets you on the path of a new era.
7. The hard thing is that thing that only the God of Elijah can do.
Only the God of Elijah can make a way where there is no way.
Only the God of Elijah can path your Jordan so that you can crossover.
Only the God of Elijah can multiply with nothing and get something.
Only the God of Elijah can bring the visible out of the invisible.
Only the God of Elijah can provide for His people by humanly impossible means.
Only the God of Elijah can look after all those who lose themselves in Him, like the widow of Zarephat. 1 Kings 17:7-16.
Only the God of Elijah is the God of resurrection.
Only the God of Elijah can give supernatural strength. Elijah ran by foot and the chariots could not catch up with him.
So, the God of Elijah is the God of supernatural energy.
Only the God of Elijah can answer by fire. The Bible says “Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me?” (Jeremiah 32:27)
Let the God of Elijah arise and show himself in your case in the name of Jesus.
Why must you ask for the hard thing?
1. When one era ends, another begins and this comes with greater challenge.
Elisha understood that when Elijah goes, an era ends and a new era begins, where the single anointing of Elijah might not be enough.
With his single anointing Elijah was afraid of Queen Jezebel when she threatened to kill him.
This was the prophet who prayed and fire came down.
He prayed and rain stopped, prayed again and it rained but he was threatened.
With double of the anointing, Elisha saw horses and chariots of fire around him when the Syrian soldiers wanted to arrest him. 1 Kings 6:17
In your ministry, you need the double anointing.
In business, you need the double anointing.
In that trade you are learning, you need the double anointing.
Possess the double anointing in the name of Jesus.
2. If you must perform beyond the regular, you need the hard thing.
Elisha did not want to become a regular prophet.
They passed by many prophets along the way to Jordan but he refused to yield.
Therefore, if you must excel, you must move above the ordinary.
3. Until you become rugged enough to quell the revenge of the enemy, you cannot face the challenges your predecessors faced and overcome.
It was an open secret that prophet Elijah offended many people and whoever is coming after him must be rugged enough to quell the revenge.
More than 100 soldiers were burnt alive. 2 Kings 1:10-12.
About 850 satanic prophets were slain. 1 Kings 18:19
He troubled the Kings household. 1 Kings 18:17
4. Only an extra-ordinary personality with at least a double of the anointing of Elijah can survive and do well in the perilous times.
Elisha knew that only extra-ordinary prophet with at least a double the anointing of Elijah can survive and do well in the period where prophets were dealt with mercilessly and massacred.
5. It takes only the one with double anointing to survive in these dangerous times, both in the Church and in the world.
There, ask for the hard thing.
6. To continue with the legacy of the master, you need to ask the hard thing at the right time.
Elisha knew it was the right time to ask so he took advantage.
The master was leaving. There is going to be vacancy.
He would need to replace his master.
The only way for him was to ask for the hard thing.
And you cannot get the hard thing, unless you see the master leave.
It was a hard thing, but it was not impossible.
The Bible says if you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes. Mark 9:23
Only the hard thing that when granted, waters will make way for you.
Only the hard thing that when granted, you can have the power to make the bitter water sweet.
Only the hard thing that when granted, you will have the power to command the barren land to become fruitful.
Only the hard thing that when granted, the fear of you shall enters heart of your enemies.
Only the hard thing that when granted, your mockers shall be silenced.
Only the hard thing that when granted, you can be distinguished among your peers.
What must we do to get the hard thing from the master Jesus?
1. Surrender your life to the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Repent from your old way of sin and become born again.
3. Follow Jesus to the end.
4. Follow those that God has chosen to lead you either in the Church or outside the Church.
Elisha followed prophet Elijah even to the crossing of the Jordan River.
Prophet Elijah asked him to wait at Gilgal he did not, to wait at Bethel he did not, to wait at Jericho, he still did not.
But many of us have left our leaders at Gilgal.
Many of us have been discouraged by others to stop following our leaders.
Many have followed for longer periods and have worked harder, perhaps than Elisha but they could not get the chance to ask for the hard thing.
Powers assigned to minister frustration into your life, let them die in the Name of Jesus.
5. Never be in hurry to take over the position of leadership if God has not release you for that purpose.
6. If you have not been released appropriately by whosoever God has appointed for you to follow, go back and prepare the grounds to ask for the hard thing.
7. Remember that to become a good leader you must be a faithful follower.
8. Follow the Lord Jesus Christ to the latter.
Serve God with humility and he will lift up your head at the appointed time.
1. O Lord God my Father, show me that one thing that will promote my destiny.
2. O God my father, empower me to follow you to the latter.
3. Powers on assignment to frustrate me from my place of glory manifestation, die.